Thursday, September 13, 2012

[Guest Post] J.J. Bonds on Red Dawn




5 Vampire Tales That Sparked My Love of All Things Vamp
#1. - The Vampire Diaries
I’m probably dating myself here, but I actually read this series when it originally released and I myself was a young adult, which is why I’m sticking with the original cover. I read a lot of books growing up and LJ Smiths were some of my favorites. The Vampire Diaries had it all- an impossible love triangle, smoldering vamps, and plenty of action.
#2. - The Last Vampire
If it had Christopher Pike’s name on it, I was reading it. Now, there are probably a lot of readers who either haven’t read this series or who’ve read it and found it went a little wonky in the later books. That’s probably true, but as a young adult, I LOVED this series and its heroine, Sita. She was a completely badass vamp and I’m a sucker for a girl who can take care of herself. Pike also had some refreshing and unique vampire lore masterfully woven into this series.
#3. - Dracula
I read Bram Stoker’s Dracula when I was as sophomore in high school and let me tell you, this book just resonated with me. That’s saying something considering I’m a bit of a cover lush and the book itself was a drab orange with just the title and author stamped on the front. My copy was nothing like the dark, creepy edition shown here. I was fascinated by Dracula and the dark world Stoker created. I’m probably also guilty of romanticizing the tale, but really, who knew required reading could be so fun?
#4. - The Vampire Chronicles
I can’t imagine any fan of vampires who hasn’t read Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles. I devoured this series in high school and while it may have been intended for a more mature audience, I was hooked. I loved everything about this series from the damaged characters to the seemingly incestuous relationships and everything in between. I know a lot of readers have found the series slow, but at 16 I wasn’t complaining. However, when I look back now, all I can see is Christian Slater, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Go figure!
#5. -  Twilight Saga
What can I say about Twilight that hasn’t already been said? For me, Twilight was the book that brought me back to YA literature. Finding this book on my little sister’s bookshelf was like reconnecting with my younger self. Once I finished Twilight, I proceeded to read the rest of the series and everything else on her bookshelf. I haven’t looked back since.

What about you guys? Any vampire series that hold a special place in your heart?

I know I can personally agree with Dracula, The Vampire Chronicles and anything Christopher Pike. I also have a very soft spot in my heart for The Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead.

Look for my review of Red Dawn later today!

About Red Dawn
Katia’s done running. She’s fought fiercely to protect her identity, her secrets, and those she loves most. And while it hasn’t been easy, she’s finally making peace with the past. Katia’s even looking forward to the start of a new school year at Crossroads Academy.

Too bad things at Crossroads are going to be a little different this fall. There are new rules, new students, and new relationships. Katia quickly discovers that navigating the halls of Crossroads is as complicated as ever.

When a friend’s life is at stake, Katia will be forced to choose between the safety of Crossroads and an enemy more dangerous than any she’s ever faced. Will Katia have the courage to risk it all -including her life- for a friend?
Sound interesting? Check out the HUGE giveaway over on J.J.'s Street Team Page!
http://www.jjbonds.com/streetteam

0 scribble backs:

Post a Comment